Paj-Puj: Expressing Fractions in Uyghur
Expressing Fractions in Uyghur
ئۇيغۇرچە كەسىر سان بىلدۈرۈش
Fractions in Uyghur are expressed with the aid of the ablative case suffixes دىن|تىن, with the fraction formed by first giving the denominator number in the ablative case, followed by the numerator number in its basic (cardinal) form.
For mixed fractions (consisting of a whole number and a proper fraction), one first states the whole number, followed by the word پۈتۈن ("whole"), followed by the proper fraction.
two and three-fifths
ئىككى پۈتۈن بەشتىن ئۈچ
When the fraction refers to a part of some object or group in particular, one first states that object or group with the genitive case suffix نىڭ and then follows with the fraction. A possessive suffix is attached to the fraction to indicate that it belongs to the object or group.
Only a third of the students came to class today.
.بۈگۈن دەرسكە پەقەت ئوقۇغۇچىلارنىڭ ئۈچتىن بىرى كەلدى
- Personal research/experience
- Gulnisa Nazarova, Kurban Niyaz, "Uyghur: An Elementary Textbook". Georgetown University Press: 2013. (p. 476)
- Tarjei Engesæth, Mahire Yakup, Arienne M. Dwyer, "Greetings from the Teklimakan: a handbook of Modern Uyghur". University of Kansas: Kansas, 2009. (p. 135)
- Hamit A. Zakir, "Introduction to Modern Uighur". Xinjiang University Press: Urumqi, 2007. (p. 69-70)
- Frederick De Jong, "A Grammar of Modern Uyghur". Houtsma Stichting: Utrecht, 2007. (p. 89)
- Hämit Tömür, "Modern Uyghur Grammar" (translation by Anne Lee). Yıldız: Istanbul, 2003. (p. 38, 136)
- E. N. Nadzhip, "Modern Uigur". Nauka Publishing House: Moscow, 1971. (p. 95)
- G. Raquette, "Eastern Turki Grammar: Practical and Theoretical with Vocabulary". Reichsdruckerei: Berlin, 1912. (p. 143)
- 米海力, "维吾尔语喀什话研究"。中央民族大学出版社: 北京, 1997。 (p. 75-76)