Paj-Puj: The Particle ھە|ئە to Express Amazement
The Particle ھە|ئە to Express Amazement
ھەيرانلىق بىلدۈرىدىغان «ھە|ئە» يۈكلىمىسى
The particle ھە, preceded by a hyphen, may be attached to exclamatory phrases to emphasize the speaker's amazement at a certain event or fact. This is very often used together with the intensifier نېمىدېگەن (analogous to the exclamatory "how" or "what" in English), with the event/fact sandwiched between the two. Although ھە is optional in this structure, its use results in a stronger sense of surprise/amazement than with just نېمىدېگەن alone .
What a tall guy!
!ئۇ يىگىت نېمىدېگەن ئېگىز ـ ھە
!نېمىدېگەن گۈزەل ـ ھە
My mother hit me after exclaiming how lazy I was.
.ئانام مېنى نېمىدېگەن ھۇرۇن ـ ھە دەپ ئۇردى
When not used with نېمىدېگەن, this particle still carries a similar meaning and acts as a general strengthener that allows the speaker to express a higher degree of feeling/emotion.
Wow, that girl's gorgeous!
!ئاۋۇ قىز ناھايىتى چىرايلىق ـ ھە
My is it cloudy today!
!بۈگۈنكى ھاۋا بەك بۇلۇتلۇق ـ ھە
- Personal research/experience
- Frederick De Jong, "A Grammar of Modern Uyghur". Houtsma Stichting: Utrecht, 2007. (p. 214-215)
- Hämit Tömür, "Modern Uyghur Grammar" (translation by Anne Lee). Yıldız: Istanbul, 2003. (p. 507)
- Reinhard F. Hahn, Ablahat Ibrahim, "Spoken Uyghur". University of Washington Press: Seattle, 1991. (p. 254)
- E. N. Nadzhip, "Modern Uigur". Nauka Publishing House: Moscow, 1971. (p. 148)